EndSpy – The Invisible Touch
EndSpy is a board end analyzer for sawmill applications. It utilizes modern and fast image analysis technology to determine the value of sawn pieces of lumber on the production line.
EndSpy can easily be combined with our sorting system BoardMaster, but it can also be delivered as a stand-alone analyzer of green or dry lumber. It has good correlation with MOE (Modulus of Elasticity) and MOR (Modulus of Rupture) strength values of the board.
EndSpy uses LED lights and a very short exposure time for freezing the images, taken in rapid succession of the end of lumber pieces passing by.
It then analyzes the images to calculate the maximum and mean annual growth rings, and to find the pith, visible or not, and end splits as well as blue stain and rot in the ends.
Benefits of EndSpy
- production control and optimization in the sawmill or planer mill
- inner / outer board recognition
- sorting and grading
- strength grading of lumber (pre-grading / final grading)
- turning of boards based on pith position and cup
Key parameters analyzed by EndSpy
- distance of the annual rings
- pith position
- ratio of summer wood / spring wood
- grain direction: vertical grain / flat grain
- defects in the end (e.g. cracks, decay, blue stain)
Technical specification of EndSpy
- CCD color matrix camera
- LED lights
- operating speed up to 240 boards/minute
- Windows 7/8 operating system
- dimensions 600 x 420 x 500 mm
- distance to object adjustable within 200 – 400 mm
- weight 60 kg